Whenever, you have obtained your permanent residence through marriage and the card was issued prior to the second anniversary of the marriage, you will obtain what we call a conditional residence. The conditional residence has the same value as the permanent residence except that you need to remove the conditions on the conditional card in order to obtain your permanent residence. There are basically five ways to have the conditional residence removed:
1. Through Joint filing of the form I-751;
2. Filing a waiver on a bona fide marriage which resulted in a divorce;
3. Filing a waiver based on an abusive relationship;
4. Filing a waiver as a widow or widower;
5. Filing a waiver based on extreme hardship.

The video below explains some of the steps in filing for the I-751 removal of conditional residence. Should you need help on your case, feel free to contact us at (510) 742 5887.


Written by admin

Shah Peerally is an attorney licensed in California practicing immigration law and debt settlement. He has featured as an expert legal analyst for many TV networks such as NDTV, Times Now and Sitarree TV. Articles about Shah Peerally and his work have appeared on newspapers such as San Jose Mercury News, Oakland Tribune, US Fiji Times, Mauritius Le Quotidien, Movers & Shakers and other prominent international newspapers. His work has been commended by Congress women Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Lee. He has a weekly radio show on KLOK 1170AM and frequently participates in legal clinics in churches, temples and mosques. His law group, Shah Peerally Law Group, has represented clients all over the United States constantly dealing with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Immigration and Custom Enforcement(ICE) and CBP (Customs Border Patrol (CBP) under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). This department was formerly known as the Immigration and Nationality Services (INS).