Worldwide abuse on Women – from Amnesty International
According to Amnesty International:
- One in three women worldwide are beaten, coerced into sex, or otherwise abused in their lifetime.
- Up to 70 percent of women worldwide encounter violence.
- As many as 6 out of 10 migrant women from Central America are raped on their journey to United States.
- Native America and Alaska Native women are more than 2.5 times more likely to be raped or sexually assaulted than women in the U.S. in general.
- Last year (2010), an estimated 15,000 women were raped in eastern Congo.
- Victims of sexual violence often face stigmatization and further abuse by members of their family or community, as well as a host of devastating health problems, including the risk of acquiring HIV and AIDS.
- Worldwide, one in five women will become a victim of rape or attempted rape in her lifetime.