Removal of Conditional Residence (I-751) after Divorce
Whenever, you have obtained your permanent residence through marriage and the card was issued prior to the second anniversary of the marriage, you will obtain what we call a conditional residence. The conditional residence has the same value as the permanent residence except that you need to remove the conditions on the conditional card in order to obtain your permanent residence. There are basically five ways to have the conditional residence removed:
1. Through Joint filing of the form I-751;
2. Filing a waiver on a bona fide marriage which resulted in a divorce;
3. Filing a waiver based on an abusive relationship;
4. Filing a waiver as a widow or widower;
5. Filing a waiver based on extreme hardship.
The video below explains some of the steps in filing for the I-751 removal of conditional residence. Should you need help on your case, feel free to contact us at (510) 742 5887.