Many people ask why should they talk to a lawyer when most of the information are available for free online. Well, I would simply say that it is the same reason why you go to a doctor instead of just looking online for the types of medicines to cure your disease.
- Each case is different, what is good for one person might not be good for another;
- A good lawyer might see things in your case that a layperson or a non lawyer will not see;
- Sometimes you might do things with emotions and end up hurting your case;
- A lawyer is an officer of the court, when a lawyer presents a case, it is assumed that the lawyer is not lying;
- You are not versed in immigration law or any type of law for the matter, a good lawyer will be able to identify the strength or weakness of a case where you might not be able to identify on your own;
- A good lawyer will be able to be present with you at any interview. This will protect your interest and avoid abuses;
- Most attorneys prepare their clients doing mock interviews or mock trials;
- A good attorney will allow you to feel more confident;
- Immigration law and many other areas of law require special knowledge. An experienced lawyer will have such knowledge; and
- A lawyer will filter the case and let you know your chances of filing the case. It will not be wise to file something and hurt yourself in the process.
The information contained in this article is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this article, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient’s state. Shah Peerally is the managing attorney for Shah Peerally Peerally Law Group located in Newark CA.