With the immigrants’ fear soaring after the U.S elections, we are recommending to people who are eligible to file for their U.S citizenship to actually move forward with their applications. The five reasons stated below are just few of many on why someone should actually apply for naturalization (i.e. citizenship). The main reasons we are recommending people (those eligible) at this point to file for a U.S. citizenship through naturalization are:
1. There is an uncertainty prevailing on immigration laws. There are talks that there will be major immigration reforms including new criminal statutes against immigrants. If such statutes are enacted, many might no longer be eligible for citizenship. As such we recommend that any qualified applicant to actually apply as soon as possible.
2. Under the new administration, many might not be eligible to travel inside and outside the United States (for example Muslims or so-called “vetted countries”) although they have a permanent residence card, might be barred to travel freely inside and outside the United States. It might be wise in this case to actually have a US passport based on a naturalization.
3. As a US citizen, you are eligible to stay outside the United States almost indefinitely without losing your citizenship although there might be some disadvantages in staying abroad for too long.
4. One of the proposed changes by Trump’s team is to actually cut the birth rights of children born inside the United States. Depending on how this proposed rule will be implemented, there is a possibility thatnon-US citizen children might not be considered as US citizens.
5. Changes in circumstances might take away the eligibility for citizenship in the future. For example, staying too long abroad on a Greencard or some economic situation including the fees to file. As such it is important to file for your citizenship as soon as you are eligible.
Although the above cover good reasons for which you should expedite your citizenship, you still need to actually qualify for citizenship. We recommend that you speak to a good immigration and U.S citizenship lawyer for help. The Shah Peerally Law Group PC, has helped hundreds with their citizenship in past and they will be more than glad to help. Feel free to reach out to them at 5107425887.
Information provided is purely educational. You should not act or refrain to act solely on the information provided. You should contact an attorney if you have any questions.