The State Department as from January 19, 2012 through January 19, 2014 is starting a new Pilot Visa Waiver Program waiving the interview at the US consulate in certain types of visas such as F (Student visas), J visas and M visas. Eventually other visas might be included. However the applicant will have to meet certain requirements:
1. Must be renewing a visa which expired more than 12 months ago but less than 48 months of the expiration of the previous visa.
2. The visa must be in the same classification as the expired visa.
Those who might not not eligible for this visa are those:
1. Was previously refused a visa
2. Is listed in the Consular Lookout and Support System (“CLASS”)
3. Otherwise requires a Security Advisory Opinion
4. May have failed to comply with U.S. immigration laws in the past
5. Is a national of a country designated as a state sponsor of terrorism.