As from today August 15th 2012, many undocumented youngsters will not be deported from the United States and eventually obtain a work authorization in the United States. The Obama Administration is very proud of this “reform”. The government has actually proposed to dedicate assigned groups to assist the immigrants in handling their cases. In fact, some Congressmen have even claimed that the young immigrants do not need to use Notarios to obtain help. This is a very good advice however, one Congressman even mention not using lawyers to prepare the case. Well, having been immigration lawyers for years now, we know that whenever the government is trying to avoid the presence of lawyers, it is not a good sign. As such we put together five good reasons why you should retain an attorney to prepare the “DACA” cases!
First of all let us define quickly the requirements to obtain DACA :-
You may request consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals if you:
- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
REASONS FOR HIRING A LAWYER TO PREPARE YOUR DEFERRED ACTION FOR CHILDHOOD ARRIVALS!
- Looking at the above, a person might totally be confused although the language might look simple especially because the entire process is discretionary. For example, the rule talk about no serious misdemeanors or a threat for national securty. What constitute serious misdemeanors? What is a threat to national security? Such questions are not easily answered, only a legal mind can guide DACA candidates.
- Experience has demonstrated that whenever you are volunteering information to the government such information might be used against you. This is why we have Miranda Rights in criminal law. Therefore giving too much information might be disastrous to you but also to other members of your family. A good lawyer might be able to filter much of this information and ultimately protect your interest.
- It is true that each time similar regulations and laws are issued, many non-lawyers especially notarios, so-called immigration consultants and many internet so-called self help agencies take advantage of people. Unfortunately this is a big problem which should not be attributed to good lawyers in good standing with their respective State Bar. Our law firm has handled thousands of immigration cases successfully and has also been rated among the best in California and we will be more than glad to help. It makes sense for an individual to hire a good lawyer or a good law firm to help.
- Immigration law is one of the hardest labyrinth to navigate, when you hire someone you need someone who is familiar with all the immigration laws to help. For instance, you might benefit from a U visa or a VAWA petition and you do not even know about it. A good lawyer will actually assess all your possibilities.
- Last but not least, there is a well know saying ” He who represents himself has fool for an attorney and a rogue for a client”. Well you neither want to be a fool or a rogue. Make the right decision and hire good help for something which might benefit you for years.
These are just few reasons why you should have a lawyer by your side in the process. DACA is a chance for million of undocumented people in the United States, do not let this opportunity go away because you tried to avoid the services of a real professional. Our law firm is dedicated to the immigrant community. Should you have any questions, feel free to call us at 510 742 5887.