LATEST NEWS: In supercession of previous rules, Government of India has decided the following:
- All naturalized US citizens of Indian descent, who have already acquired foreign citizenship voluntarily in the past shall cease to be Indian citizens upon their acquiring foreign citizenship. However, such persons are required to renounce their Indian citizenship and to obtain surrender certificate for their Indian passports, whether valid or expired, so that the passport is not misused. If you have a ‘passport cancelled on acquisition of US(foreign) nationality’ stamp on your passport, there is no requirement of acquiring “surrender certificate”.
- For those persons of Indian origin who have already acquired foreign citizenship till 31 May 2010, the fee is $ 20. For those, who acquire foreign citizenship on or after 1 June 2010, the fee is $175.
- Cases of renunciation / surrender of passport, received/processed up to 31 May, 2010 will not be re-opened and the amount of US$ 175/- will not be refunded. No email/phone queries will be entertained in this regard.
* * * * *
- All Power of Attorneys have to be appostilled.
- All Naturalized US citizen of Indian descent are advised to apply for entry visa only for all purposes except if visiting India for recreation. If visiting for recreation, visa application must be supported by documentary proof including firm receipts of payment made towards hotel, spa, travel bookings.
- Copies of documents like Green Card/EAD/I-130 and the last held Indian passport at the time of naturalization required in support of our applications can be obtained by request from USCIS under the freedom of Information ACT.